Have you ever heard of a coin battery? And if you have heard of them, have you ever wondered what coin batteries are and why they’re used in a wide variety of small electronic devices? And what about devices that use a CR2032 battery?
There are many questions that surround coin batteries, but don’t worry – you’re not alone in your confusion. In this blog post, we will discuss all the things concerning coin batteries, including their voltage, diameter, typical lifespan, and more.
Are you ready to learn all about CR2032 batteries and other coin batteries? Let’s dig in right away!
Table of Contents
What are coin batteries?
Coin batteries get their name from their small, round shape – they are about the size of a coin, hence the name “coin battery”. They are also called button cell batteries or coin cell batteries because they are often used in devices that have a small button.
Coin batteries are widely used because they’re reliable and have a low current consumption. There are a ton of different types of coin batteries, and they’re made up of many chemistries, including lithium, silver oxide, zinc air, and alkaline.
What are Cr2032 Batteries?
The CR2032 battery is a common type of coin battery, and just a few other common types are the CR2025, CR2016, and CR2012. They are typically non-rechargeable batteries (which is also called primary batteries), though some are rechargeable, and they are a lithium battery.
Some of the brands that offer CR2032s include Energizer, Maxell, Panasonic, Philips, Renata, Murata, and Duracell.
There are many electronic devices that use a CR2032 battery. For example, you will find them in medical devices such as hearing aids, pedometers, and glucometers. You will also find them in a wide variety of applications within the household, such as various toys, garage door openers, key fobs and other keyless entry systems, real-time clocks, laser pointers, pet collars, wrist watches, PDAs, LED accessories, calculators, stopwatches, and other small electronics.
Now that you have a general feel for coin batteries as a whole, let’s look more specifically at the technical details of the CR2032 battery.
1. Terminal Features
Coin batteries come with different terminal features, and the CR2032 is no exception. CR2032 batteries have a flat top, button top, or pressure contact terminal.
A flat top terminal is just a small, flat spot on the top of the battery. A button top terminal is slightly elevated above the surface of the battery, and it has a small, raised button in the center. Pressure contact terminals are also slightly elevated, but they do not have a button – instead, they have two raised bumps on either side of the terminal.
All coin batteries have a voltage of 1.5 volts or 3 volts. Lithium coin batteries such as the CR2032 battery are a 3-volt battery, which means that it has a higher voltage than other coin batteries, such as the LR41 alkaline battery, which is only 1.5 volts. This higher voltage allows the CR2032 battery to power devices that require more power, such as medical devices and toys.
Coin batteries come in a variety of sizes, but they are all small and round. In terms of size, the diameter of the battery is 20 mm and the thickness (height) is 3.2 mm. This makes it a bit thicker than some other coin batteries, such as the CR2025, which is only 2.5 mm thick.
The capacity of a coin battery is measured in milliamp hours, or mAh. This measures how much charge the battery can hold. The CR2032 battery has a capacity of 235 to 240 mAh, which means that it can power a device for a long time before it needs to be replaced.
5. Operating Temperature
The operating temperature of a coin battery is the temperature range in which the battery can be used. The CR2032 battery has a wide operating temperature range of 0°C to 60°C. This means that it can be used in a variety of devices, in cold and mildly warm temperatures.
How Long Does A CR2032 Battery Last?
The lifespan of a coin battery varies depending on the type of battery and how it is used. For example, alkaline batteries have a shorter typical lifespan than lithium batteries. The CR2032 battery has a long shelf life of 3 to 5 years.
This means that, if you use your device regularly, you can expect to replace the CR2032 battery every 3 to 5 years. However, if you only use your device occasionally, the battery may last longer.
The Benefits and Challenges of the CR2032 Battery
Just like with everything in life, the CR2032 has both its benefits and its challenges. Let’s take a look at a few of both.
The CR2032 battery has a number of benefits.
- First, it has a high capacity, which means that it can power your device for a long time before it needs to be replaced.
- Second, it has a wide operating temperature range, which means that it can be used in a variety of devices.
- Third, since it is a small battery, the packaging won’t take up much storage space in your junk drawer or wherever you store them. Finally, if you need to replace the battery, it is easy to find replacements online or at your local store.
When using coin batteries, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- First, because they are small and round, they can be difficult to handle. It is important to be careful when inserting and removing them from your device.
- Second, since they are small, they are easy for children to swallow, and they are extremely dangerous and life-threatening if ingested, so please keep them out of the reach of children.
How to Replace a CR2032 Battery
Coin batteries are easy to replace, and the CR2032 battery is no exception. The simplest way to replace the battery is to remove the old battery and insert the new one in its place.
- Hold it with your thumb and first finger. Gently pull on the tab until the battery comes out. If the tab breaks, you can use a small pair of tweezers or needle-nose pliers to carefully remove the battery.
- Once you have removed the old battery, compare it to the new one to make sure they are the same size and shape. If they are not, do not force the new battery into place. Find a replacement that is the same size and shape as the old one.
- To insert the new battery, hold it with your thumb and first finger. Gently press it into the socket until it clicks into place.
- Once the new battery is in place, close the cover of your device. You may need to press a button or flip a switch to turn your device back on.
And that’s it! You’ve successfully replaced the CR2032 battery in your device.
Frequently Asked Questions About Coin Batteries
Now that we’ve looked at everything you’ve ever needed to know about CR2032 batteries, and coin batteries in general, let’s look at a few frequently asked questions on the subject.
1. When should you replace your CR2032 battery?
Now that you know how to replace a CR2032 battery, you may be wondering when you should do it. The answer depends on how often you use your device. If you use it regularly, you can expect to replace the battery every 3 to 5 years. However, if you only use your device occasionally, the battery may last longer.
You should also keep an eye on the battery life indicator of your device. When the indicator shows that the battery is low, it’s time to replace it.
Finally, if your device stops working or doesn’t work as well as it used to, it may be time to replace the battery.
2. How do I extend the life of my CR2032 battery?
There are a few things you can do to extend the life of your CR2032 battery.
- First, try to avoid using your device in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold.
- Second, don’t leave your device turned on when you’re not using it.
- Third, if your device has a power-saving mode, use it.
- Fourth, when you’re not using your device for a long period of time, remove the battery to prevent it from leaking and damaging your device.
3. When should I recycle my CR2032 battery?
Once your CR2032 battery reaches the end of its life, you should recycle it. You can usually find recycling centers at your local store or online.
We hope you found this article helpful. Now that you know everything there is to know about CR2032 batteries, you can be sure to choose the right one for your device and enjoy years of reliable power. Thanks for reading!
What devices in your home use coin batteries? Let us know in the comments below!