The Hyundai key fob is probably one of the most advanced technologies when it comes to car keys. If you’re using an android smartphone, this car key can offer more advanced features that would simplify your life.
Compared to typical car keys, this Hyundai smart key is run on a battery. Every once in a while, you will have to replace it. Well, it won’t be a good idea to bring your car key to a professional just to replace the battery. You need to know how to change the battery in Hyundai key fob on your own.
Don’t be intimidated. If you think that this process is a bit complicated, we’ll guide you through the process and help you change your Hyundai key fob’s battery.
Table of Contents
How to Change the Battery of your Hyundai Key Fob
Step 1: Open Your Hyundai Key Fob
Changing the battery of your Hyundai Key is not as difficult as you think. Before you replace the old battery, you have to understand the proper way to open the Hyundai Key Fob. The battery is inside that little car key so you have to open it first.
How you open the key fob would depend on the type of Hyundai that you are driving.
If you are currently driving a new Hyundai, here is a short guide on how to open it:
- Check your key and look for a metal mechanism. You can do this if you press and hold on to the metal button.
- Once you have the metal key in your hand, use it to open the back cover of your Key Fob. There is a tiny opening at the side. Insert the metal mechanism and turn it in any direction. This will open the casing of the car key.
If you are using an older Hyundai car, here is what you should do:
- Check the side and you can see a tiny notch.
- Try using a flat-blade screwdriver and pop open the key at the small opening. Make sure that you don’t force it when opening as it might damage the locking mechanism of the car key.
Step 2: Take out the Circuit Board to Access the Battery
Now that you’ve successfully opened the key fob, the next step is to take out the circuit board and bring out the battery. Remember that the circuit board handles all the processes in the key fob so don’t damage it in any way.
After slowly lifting the circuit board, you will now see the battery of your key fob. You have to take note of how it is positioned inside before you remove the battery. You can take a picture if you want. This would allow you to position the new battery properly.
Step 3: Check the Battery
You have to remember that you are not buying a universal battery. The battery replacement has to be the same thing. You need to take note of the battery and buy something similar. If you don’t know the type of battery, you can just bring it to the department stores and they will give you the same battery.
Hyundai key fobs use CR2032 batteries. They are extremely cheap and you can find them almost anywhere in your area. However, it’s always better to be sure so you won’t have to waste your time going to the store.
Step 4: Attach the Replacement Battery
Now that you have the Key Fob battery replacement, look at the photo you’ve taken and place the battery in the same location. You have to guarantee that it will directly touch all the connections inside the key fob.
Step 5: Close the Key Fob
After putting in the brand-new battery, slowly place the circuit board back in its original place. If you are using a new Hyundai, make sure that you place it back after closing the Hyundai Key Fob.
Programming your Hyundai Key Fob
After successfully replacing the Hyundai Key Fob battery, you will have to reprogram the Hyundai Key Fob. Here is a short guide on how to do this:
- You need to enter your Hyundai car and make sure that all your doors are closed
- Use the key and turn it into the “ACC” position on the ignition.
- You will have to hold the unlock switch on the car key until you see your vehicle’s light flash. Once this happens, the key fob is not programmed into your car.
- You need to test the Hyundai Key to make sure that it is properly programmed. Test the key if it is working properly. If not, you can open the casing of the key fob and inspect the battery. Fix all the connections and make sure that they are touching the battery. If the problem is still there, get a brand new Key Fob.
You can check out this video tutorial on how to program your key fob to have a more hands-on approach. This would help you program your key faster.
You have to remember that this extra programming tip only works on keys that were already programmed into your Hyundai. After getting a new Key Fob, you need to bring it to their service center right away as they would be the ones to program it into your car.
This is a simple troubleshooting tip when the Hyundai Key Fob is not working properly. It is true that most problem starts with the battery, but if you already replaced it and the problem is there, it is better to bring it to a service center as soon as possible.
It’s always better to know a few tricks when it comes to your Hyundai vehicle. It only takes a few minutes to replace the battery. You don’t need to bring it to a service center just to get it replaced. Follow the tips mentioned above and you’re good to go.
If you have any questions about the steps in changing the battery of your Hyundai key fob, you can comment down below.