The Dodge Journey is one of those unique cars that can do it all. Part SUV, jeep, and minivan, it has quickly become a fan-favorite with countless drivers over the past decade.
But one thing always catches new owners – where on Earth is the car’s battery? Because of its unique design, the Dodge Journey’s battery is located in a special place in your vehicle. And no, it’s not the hood. Or the trunk.
In this article, we’ll tell you where exactly you can find the battery of your Dodge Journey. So whether you want to fix your car yourself or want to prepare for an upcoming service visit, you’ll know the inner workings of your vehicle.
Table of Contents
Dodge Journey Battery Location
Regardless of make, design, or year, most cars share one common thing; the battery is always under the car hood. But for the Dodge Journey, it is entirely different.
Sadly, it’s going to take a little bit of effort and muscle power for you to access the Dodge battery. That’s because the car battery is located in front of the driver’s side front wheel. And the only way to access it directly is to remove the tire first.
Equipment needed: Safety gear, 10mm wrench or ratchet, screwdriver, car jack, new battery.
- First, wear protective gear, including gloves and eyewear, and set parking brakes to ensure your safety.
- Position the car jack beside your car and turn the handle clockwise to elevate it. Begin to remove your car’s left wheel liner, located under the front bumper. Loosen the lug nuts and bolts.
- Next, remove the seven push pins at the splash shield with a screwdriver. Remove the panel to reveal your battery.
- You can then follow the traditional method of replacing a car battery. Remove the negative battery terminal first by gently twisting the cables.
- When removing the positive terminal, ensure it does not touch any metal objects, as this may cause a short in your system.
- Remove the battery and clean terminals and posts of corrosion with a wire brush and baking soda. Inspect the negative and positive cable and all connectors for signs of fraying or cracks.
- Change your old battery and gently slot it into position. Reconnect the positive and negative terminals, and tighten the clamp to secure your battery.
- When putting the push pins back on, apply some lubricant when tightening the push pins back into your splash shield. The pins can easily break otherwise.
- Reattach the splash shield and your front wheel to complete the change.
- The Dodge Journey has Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) technology to report how your new battery is performing.
Symptoms you need a Dodge Journey battery replacement
There are many reasons people want to inspect their car batteries. But chances are that you’re reading through this article so that you can replace or recharge it.
Telltale signs of common car battery issues include:
- Clicking: Let your engine run. If you hear a clicking sound, this suggests your need a full battery replacement.
- Loss of energy: If headlights, electronics, and accessories are slow to turn on or fail completely, this pin-points to a dying or dead battery.
- Check engine light: If the check engine battery light appears, this suggests the battery needs your attention immediately.
- Low Battery fluid level: Fluid leaks require you to run a diagnostic on your battery.
- Corrosion build-up: If you inspect your battery, battery tray, and battery cables and notice signs of damage, excessive corrosion, rust, or debris around the battery, it may be time to remove and thoroughly clean it.
Types of batteries that are compatible with a Dodge Journey
The Dodge Journey’s battery has very specific dimensions and features, given its unique position under the driver’s front wheel.
You can’t replace it with just any high-performance battery – no, you need a proper battery specially designed for the make and model of the car. Only then can it achieve near-perfect levels of efficiency.
In general, a Dodge Journey will demand the following from its battery:
- Terminal positions: Batteries with a left-hand polarity
- Power:60-65 Ah (Ampere-Hour Capacity)
- Rim: No bottom rim is required, as the top of the battery will already be secured.
- Size battery: Battery dimensions belong to Group 86, measuring 9 1/16” x 6 13/16” x 8”.
- Brand of the battery: Some of the best car batteries for a Dodge Journey are made by Odyssey, NAPA, and DieHard Batteries.
Dodge Journey Battery Cost
Price comparison website YourMechanic.com estimates that a Dodge Journey car battery replacement ranges between $210 to $350, depending on the size engine, model of battery, battery parts, and more. Newer models may require more powerful batteries and increase the service bill. You can also expect to pay $95 for labor.
As always, check your insurance coverage to see if a battery replacement is included to help mitigate any potential costs.
- The life of your Journey battery should range between 3-5 years. However, battery usage, climate and weather conditions, and driving habits can reduce this. Strive only to drive your car in ideal conditions.
- A faulty battery will often click, signal a warning on your dashboard, or worse – fail to turn on at all. Consider inspecting the alternator or starters as part of this process.
- Test the voltage of your battery with a multimeter to see if it’s working at a high level. Optimal levels include 12 to 13 volts.
- Turn off the radio, air conditioner, GPS, and other power-hungry features when they are not required.
- Don’t apply too much force when removing the tire and battery – the pins that attach everything are fragile.
- Don’t wait for long periods of time before a service appointment. Refer to your vehicle manual for more information.
The Dodge Journey has always been a favorite among automobile enthusiasts. Its size and durability make it an ideal choice for many people from all walks of life.
But a Dodge Journey owner may be completely clueless when it comes to the battery. Where exactly is it?
In this article, we’ve shown that you can find your battery under the front driver-side wheel. The hood space is quite tight, so you’ll need to remove the front wheel to access it properly. No need to call a technician; as we’ve shown, all you need to do to perform this task is a wrench, a jack, and some patience!
If you have any questions left unanswered about your Dodge Journey battery, please leave a comment below.
- The battery of a dodge journey is located near the driver’s side’s front wheel.
- If you notice a clicking sound or your Dodge Journey is slow to turn on, it’s time you replace the battery.
- Always buy premium, compatible parts when replacing the battery, as the Dodge Journey’s inner mechanisms and size requirements are unique.